Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Ozzie to start Tuesday

Coach Mike Babcock said after today's practice that Chris Osgood will be in net against the Calgary Flames, Tuesday night, at Joe Louis Arena. It will be the second consecutive start and fourth in the past five games for Osgood, who is 10-1-1 this season with a league-best 1.66 goals-against average. He's fifth in the NHL with a .930 save percentage.
"The thing about it is you've got to get wins," said Babcock. "When you've got one guy playing well, you've got to play him. ... I didn't think (Hasek) was bad last game, he just didn't win. Ozzie's getting us points, so he gets us the opportunity.
"It's always been to my understanding (that) it's about the team. That's the approach we take with everybody. Dom's been around 100 years. He knows this. He also knows how good he is. I just watched him in practice and he was excellent. The next time he gets an opportunity, he'll be good."
With Dominik Hasek brought in as the starting goalie a year ago, Osgood starting back-to-back games has been a rarity. Before four games ago, the only time that Osgood previously started back-to-back games when Hasek was healthy was the final two games of last season.
This season, however, Hasek is on a three-game losing streak. His numbers -- 5-5-1, 2.90 goals-against average, .864 save percentage -- are much weaker than Osgood's.
"I know I haven't played well, but I feel very good in practice and I feel healthy and that's most important right now," said Hasek. "I was in at the beginning of the year and I didn't play well. Ozzie played great game a few times, most of the time. Right now, I believe when I get back I can play on the highest level again. Then I can play more games in a row, then I will feel even better. ... I have no problem with it.
"Of course I'll be glad to play more games in a row. It makes it easier for me. But this is the way it is."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home