Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Winter Classic viewership

The Winter Classic had more television viewers than last year's version in Buffalo. Here's one thing I found interesting. There were three markets that were just about double any other market in the overnight ratings. Two are obvious -- Detroit and Chicago. Buffalo, however, was just as impressive. I wonder why. Are they that hockey crazy in Buffalo? Is it because they hosted last year's classic?

Top 10 Metered Markets:
1. Chicago 11.8/21
2. Detroit 10.5/20
3. Buffalo 10.1/20
4. St. Louis 5.3/10
5. Pittsburgh 4.4/8
6. Denver 4.2/10
7. Providence 3.5/7
8. Indianapolis 3.4/6
9. West Palm Beach 3.3/6
10. Orlando 3.2/5

5 Comments:

Blogger Steven Horwitz said...

I think the Buffalonians wanted to see if Chicago did it any better!

I assume those Detroit numbers are NBC only? I wonder how many Detroiters did what I did here in northern NY: watch the much better CBC coverage. Dave Strader is fine, but Jim Hughson is the voice of God (not to mention my old NHL 99).

January 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Michigan (nowhere close to Detroit) and watched the Winter Classic on CBC, as well as the playoffs last year (basically I watch CBC broadcast of the Wings any time I can when the games aren't on FSD - I grew up on CBC's HNIC). Any word on CBC's ratings in the US? The NHL is big on the ratings game, you'd think they'd incorporate CBC viewership in the US in their numbers.

January 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, I thought I was the only one in the world who felt that way. I HATE watching games on NBC for exactly the reasons you've stated.

January 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM 
Blogger Jeff said...

Does anybody know why Boston, New York, Philadelphia and the Twin Cities aren't listed?

January 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes Buffalo is that hockey crazy. I've got friends in buffalo and home games shut the city down.

January 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home