Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

No Cleary

The Red Wings have just started their morning practice and Dan Cleary is not on the ice. Unless he improves, it looks like he won't be ready for Thursday's Game 1 against Columbus.

Ville Leino, just recalled from Grand Rapids, gives the Wings 12 healthy forwards.

Kris Draper, who has an undisclosed injury, is on the ice and working through drills. But Draper has already been ruled out of playing in Games 1 and 2 because of his injury.

Dick Axelsson, 21, Detroit's third draft pick in 2006, was brought in from Sweden by the Griffins on an amateur tryout.

It looks like Hudler's Finnish is about to improve. Leino is on the third line with Filppula and Hudler.

Today's practice lines ...

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa
Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson
Hudler-Filppula-Leino
Kopecky-Helm-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Lebda-Ericsson
Meech-Chelios

Osgood
Conklin

Lots of time spent on special teams, both PP and PK.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

I'm certain that Draper is hurt. I don't think they'd cover up a benching like that and I'm sure they wouldn't say that he's out Games 1 and 2 if he wasn't hurt. Why scratch someone for two games at a time? Maybe you'd want him in Game 2.
I've read the stuff about the interview. I was there when Draper talked and in person, it was about two things ... his frustration over the injury and the fact that the Wings want a total lid on injury disclosure. Draper even apologized to reporters after the interview for not being able to say more.
Draper's the same guy on the ice and in the locker room the past two days. I think he's frustrated.

April 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

And I agree with you about it being odd that he played. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "I'm certain". Make that "I think he's injured" or "I believe he's injured".

April 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Draper made the comment that it happened in Buffalo. So let's just be firmly convinced that it's an injury but something minor. Even at -13 you still want to dress the 2nd best face-off guy in the league Draper is close to 66% at even strength. Plus a lot of those "-" goals came just after PK's and when he has been matched up against top opponent lines like Nash and Iginla. In my opinion, Draper and Maltby have actually been playing some of their best hockey all year the last couple weeks. On the other side of this, I want to get Leino up. I want to get Helm up. I want to make Columbus dizzy with skating and shorten up this series. Leino and Helm provide that. Drapes and Clears get a couple days off. Come back and provide that otherworldly competition level that has made them Detroit favorites.

April 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home