Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Look for Helm to go back to GR soon

Darren Helm's stay in Detroit won't likely last long. He was told that he'd just be with the Red Wings for one game, but general manager Ken Holland said that he'd re-assess when Dan Cleary's (scratched cornea) status for Friday is clearer.

"I don't think I'll be here too long," said Helm, who drove to Detroit last night. "But it's another good opportunity."

Cleary practiced today and said that a Friday return is possible. Cleary's vision in his left eye is back to 20-50 after being 20-200.

"If it can get down to 20-30 or something like that, I should be good to go," said Cleary.

The Red Wings front office wants the 21-year-old to play and play a lot of hockey. With coming back and Tomas Holmstrom coming back in a couple of weeks, Helm won't get that opportunity in Detroit.

"Even if (Helm) plays four minutes a night (rather than sits in the press box), I'm not happy," said general manager Ken Holland. "I want him to play hockey."

"If I'm not playing, then it would probably be better for me to be in GR like I have been," said Helm. "I have a chance to play tonight, so obviously it's what I want to be doing now."

Holland said that the reason for swapping Helm and Darren McCarty today was that the team is coming off a western road trip and into a three-game-in-four-night stretch.

"We need energy," said Holland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home