Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Datsyuk a Lady Byng finalist

After taking a beating for saying that Nicklas Lidstrom didn't get my first-place Norris vote ... I did vote for him, just not as No. 1 ... I'm thrilled to say that the NHL announced its finalists for the Lady Byng Trophy today. Hopefully this will usher in a new era of sportsmanship in this blog ... nah.

The finalists are ... Pavel Datsyuk, Martin St. Louis and Zach Parise.

If this helps lessen the beatings any, I'll say that I voted for both Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom among my top five for the Lady Byng. Datsyuk has won the award the past three seasons and deserves another. I have no problem with St. Louis winning the award or Parise. Although Parise does fall into that Lady Byng profile that I don't like ... the trophy given to a forward with a strong offensive season who isn't going to win the Hart. Kind of a runner-up prize. I'd call Paul Kariya the poster child for this syndrome. That said, Parise did display a high level of sportsmanship. Although it is kinda funny that the son of the guy (J.P. Parise, who almost swung his stick across an official during Game 8 of the Summit Series could win a Lady Byng.)

The player I'd like to mention is Jarome Iginla. I think he should be the poster child for a new attitude about the Lady Byng. Let's not make it all about penalty minutes and let's focus on sportmanship and gentlemanly conduct. The thing I like about Datsyuk winning the Byng is that he's physical, hits people. I just think that outside of Detroit, people don't realize that and are voting just on low penalty minutes and high performance.

I think players that hit like Datsyuk and especially Iginla, but have a high level of integrity and sportsmanship. I'm pulling for Datsyuk to win. But in the future, I'd like to see guys like Iginla be named as finalists -- competitors with class.

On Monday, the Vezina Trophy finalists will be announced.

Also, recent Lady Byng finishes ...
DATSYUK
09 1st, 2nd or 3rd
08 1st
07 1st
06 1st
04 21st

ST. LOUIS
09 1st, 2nd or 3rd
08 2nd
07 2nd
04 3rd

PARISE
09 1st, 2nd or 3rd
08 25th
07 57th

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to cast my ballot under the Bruce MacLeod inspired Steve Yzerman Trophy:

1. Iginla, 2. Datsyuk, 3. Ovechkin 4. Lidstrom

I also like Hossa, Richards, Luongo, Brodeur and Zetterberg for this.

April 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM 
Anonymous lilja4mvp said...

iginla? you want a guy that stops to take a second right before a fight to ensure his helmet+visor is securely on to be up for the lady bing?

really?

i mean, really?

April 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

Really.

April 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

I don't know if you'll find a more respected, physical player than Iginla.

April 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

My only option for you there Bruce is a more physical respected player:

Mike Singletary.

Thought you'd like that.

April 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

Singletary. I'd vote for him.

Irrelevant, but of local note, Singletary is married to a girl from Sterling Heights. I guess that makes him a local-in-law.

April 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM 
Anonymous Bob said...

I disagree about Iginla. I just think back to that time in the 2007 playoffs where a frustrated Iginla stalked Matthieu Schneider up the ice to jab him in the ribs with the butt end of his stick, and then cross check him in the back a few seconds later. Here it is in case you've forgotten:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMgUZBusHs&feature=PlayList&p=873C79D235168D8C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=16

That doesn't seem like a good model for good sportsmanship or gentlemanly conduct to me.

April 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM 
Anonymous lilja4mvp said...

not to mention when he tried to drop the gloves with feared heavyweight nicklas lidstrom.

iginla is a joke.

April 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home