Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Moneypuck

The best moment from Mike Babcock's daily press conference today was the tangent he took when asked about the Blackhawks' young talent. Babcock complimented the Blackhawks by saying that he's looking forward to their players succeeding and pricing themselves out of staying together as a team under the salary cap.

Funny coming from the franchise that has managed the cap better than any other, keeping Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen, Rafalski and the rest together. But Babcock's discourse showed the coach's sense of humor.

"I can’t wait," said Babcock. "They’ve got way too much skill. So the only way that we can eliminate their skill is by the salary cap getting involved here. So the more goals those young guys score. You may laugh, but that’s the truth. When you’re on the outside looking in, you’re just sitting there during the regular season hoping that No. 32 (Kris Versteeg) is going to snipe one more, get another one, get another one. Salaries just creep up and they can’t have all the players. The scary thing about this new world is you watch them walk out the door. They say, ‘Thanks for everything.’ And they go somewhere else for more money."

The picture of an opposing coach sitting in his living room rooting for young opponents to light up the scoreboard in the hopes that they'll price themselves out of the Central Division is priceless. Unfortunately, it goes over the humor cap and thus Babcock will have to be traded because he and Holmstrom and Datsyuk are too much funny for one NHL team.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Too bad I can't post to this as Balky Bartokamus again -

You know, I have played for about 10 different amateur teams now. And three of the first nine had funny guys besides me. I am still friends with all of those guys. In fact, i took two with me to staff my job at my AHL team. My current team only has one or two non-funny guys. I've been with them for three years. The goaltender was a groomsmen at my wedding and makes me Red Wing labeled beer (his bottles had Flyer's labels.) One left wing recently asked me while skating at an outdoor roller/hockey rink what skate I wear.... i replied "both". And watching the Wings the last few nights, and my AHL employer, I think, you know, that's why we love being on this team so much. All three, amateur, AHL, NHL... because we're fun. And you can't be fun if no one is funny.

A shout out to Josh Roberts, chief skate Sharpener at the Hershey Bears, high school hockey player, ACHA/NCAA/junior's hopeful; sorry about the Egg Salad.. but seriously, it looked exactly like popcorn once we filled the box so we couldn't resist.

May 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home