Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hudler signs Russian deal

TSN reports that Jiri Hudler has signed a one-year, $2 million contract with Moscow Dynamo of the KHL.

TSN story

I believe that the Red Wings might still be able to sign Hudler and this is is fall-back position. Waiting for word from Ken Holland or Jim Nill on that though.

Hudler, 25, is a restricted free agent who filed for arbitration, Sunday.

If the Dynamo deal is worth $2 million per season over two years, keep in mind that's a lot more than $2 million in NHL salary. The $2 million is likely tax free and free housing and vehicle are often included in Russian deals.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Doublejack said...

It is a common misconception that there's no tax in Russia when in fact there is a flat 10% for many occupations, including on professional athletes. Granted, 10% is a whole lot less than what Hudler would pay / has been paying in taxes in the USA, but the KHL money isn't tax-free.

The way I'm reading this, I think there's a very good chance Hudler is going to play in Russia. He stands to make a lot more money on that side of the pond. I also believe that money is a prime motivator for Hudler because he took the team to arbitration and hasn't liked the offers he's received so far. Holland probably should have focused on Samuelsson and dealt the rights to Hudler.

July 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

I believe that many Russian contracts include a clause that has the team paying the player's income tax. Tell me if I'm wrong on that.

So when it's said there's no tax, it means no tax paid by the player.

July 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM 
Blogger Chuck Pleiness said...

And I agree with you Doublejack that it looks now like Hudler might be playing in Russia. I'm sure that both sides are talking right now, so we'll find out.

I think Hudler is looking for a payday because now is his time. The team took care of Filppula. I don't think he likes being behind someone his own age. I'm not saying that Hudler's right, but I think he looks at it that way. He wants a Filppula-like deal. He's waiting one year longer than Filppula for it.

July 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of a mixed reaction for me on Hudler. I like the guy, but there is really no room for his salary on the roster without moving someone. Making more money is understandable for him and he produced much better numbers than Filppula last season. It wouldn't be a complete loss, look who we have waiting in the minors. I sure would like to see Abdelkader on the roster this season.

July 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home