Blogs > Red Wings Corner

Up-to-the minute updates and insights from the Red Wings locker room at home and on the road. By Chuck Pleiness of The Macomb Daily.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Datsyuk a Selke finalist

In what could be a lead-up to a bigger announcement (Hart Trophy finalist), Pavel Datsyuk was named one of three finalists for the Selke Trophy today. He joins Mike Richards of Philadelphia and Livonia-native Ryan Kesler of Vancouver.

My view ... I'd like to see Datsyuk win his second straight Selke. He's the best defensive forward I've seen in a few years, remarkable read of the game with a nice physical presence. I gave him my top vote with Kesler and Richards in my top three. I had Henrik Zetterberg as my No. 4 pick.

Not much is made of this, but being a three-time Lady Byng winner and a Selke winner seem to be different skill sets. Datsyuk, however, is showing that you don't have to be Bobby Clarke to be good on defense.

Here is the Selke voting history for the three finalists ...

Datsyuk
2008 1st
2007 20th

Richards
2008 5th

Kesler
2008 11th

1 Comments:

Blogger Zachary Wood said...

Yeah, I can see Pavel Datsyuk winning this hands down. I like his chances better w/ this than I do w/ the Lady Byng if that says anything!

Great to have you back posting again Bruce!!!

April 29, 2009 at 4:27 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home